What are the laws for statutory rape

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the laws for statutory rape

I just found out my boyfriend of 10 years was having sex with my daughter
when she was 13 she’s 19 now and I just found out but I have text messages
where he is admitting to doing it is there anything that can be done about
it since now it’s been this long and if so what type of sentence would he
be facing?

Asked on July 3, 2019 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since the sexual contact with a 13-year old, if we understand your timeline correctly, occured in 2013 (there seems to have been a change in the law in your state in 2012), the criminal statute of limitations, or time period within which charges must be brought, is 7 years from the minor's 16th birthday, which means until your daughter is 23 years old. You are still in time for charges to be brought. Your boyfriend, if he was over 21 at the time, as we assume he was, could potentially face over a decade in prison and mandatory sex offender registration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption