What are the laws about getting tickets for not being street legal with your license plate covers when you are out of your home town?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the laws about getting tickets for not being street legal with your license plate covers when you are out of your home town?

I just got 2 $65 tickets in NY for my license plate covers. They are legal where my car is registered (OH). Should I fight this? And if so, can I do it without having to haul myself all the way back to the Bronx?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under General Practice, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to determine whether or not to fight the ticket you received for improper license plate covers for your vehicle, you need to carefully read the statute that you were cited for in the state of New York and see if the statute only applies to registered automobiles under New York law or not since the plate covers are allowed in the state of Ohio where your vehicle is registered.

If so, then you will have the needed information to contest the New York citation if you desire. Make sure that you have copies of the New York statute and the Ohio statute to asisst you if you want to contest the citation.

If you want to fight the traffic citation concerning your plate covers, unfortunately you will need to travel to the court house in New York where the hearing is scheduled to fight it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption