What are the consequences for a person who got charged with possession/delivery of marijuana and it’s their first offense?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the consequences for a person who got charged with possession/delivery of marijuana and it’s their first offense?

Will they be able to get away with just probation?

Asked on June 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, probation is a possibility in first offender cases. However, you give little by way of details. How much marijuana was involved? Can be proven that you had done this before (i.e. was this a repeated pattern of behavior)? The fact is that possession of a small amount of marijuana is one thing thing but possession of a large quantity with the intent to distribute is another.

At this point, you really should consult with a criminal law attorney in the area in which you were arrested. They can best advise you and use their local contacts within the court system to your best advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption