What are the consenquences of 5th degree theft for a minor?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the consenquences of 5th degree theft for a minor?

I’m 16 years old, got caught stealing a $186 dollars worth of stuff.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under Iowa law, 5th degree theft is known as a simple misdemeanor and is any theft involving values of less than $200.  It is similar to a charge of shoplifting in other states (petty theft).  In Iowa, the violation of a simple misdemeanor consists of two potential penalties: Up to 30 days in jail, but because there is no mandatory sentencing, it is possible that no jail time will be served at all or a mandatory fine of at least $50, but not to exceed $500.  Many times the court requires that you pay restitution - pay back for what you stole - on top of the fine.  You are a minor and that puts you in a better position for long standing ramifications of a conviction for this type of crime - such as a criminal record.  But I would not take it lightly.  Get a lawyer.  Now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption