What are our options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our options?

My husband was in an accident. Our car wasn’t damaged but the other vehicle was damaged. He was at fault but no ticket given by police. come to find out, our insurance had lapsed. Other driver is suing.

Asked on August 10, 2017 under Accident Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the other driver's lawsuit results in a judgment against your husband, the judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment or lien on your property.
Since your husband's car wasn't damaged, did the other car only have minor damage?  If it had major damage and the judgment against your husband is a substantial amount which he cannot afford to pay, both you and he could file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.
Apart from the above, there will be penalties from your state for driving without insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption