What are my rights if I was illegally evicted?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was illegally evicted?

I was never evicted out of my home. The landlord illegally moved my belongings out and in the process stuff got broken, plus things are missing and a whole refrigerator full of food got ruined because it sat in 100 degree weather. I want to know what are my rights on suing him and getting my stuff replaced? Ialso am 6 months pregnant and pulled muscles in the process to get my stuff off the street.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Landlords may *only* evict in accordance with the law. To evict, they must bring (and win) a legal action, and may only evict for proper reasons (e.g. nonpayment of rent). For a landlord to evict otherwise is illegal, so a landlord may never simply move a tenant's belongings out to the street. You therefore, from what you write, may have a cause of action. You could sue for some combination of:

1) An order letting you back in to the home;

2) Monetary compensation for anything of yours broken or damaged, or the cost of moving or storing it elsewhere once it was put on the street.

3) Any costs you incurred living elsewhere after the illegal eviction (e.g. motel or hotel costs).

4) Possibly for your medical costs caused by the illegal eviction.

Since you may have rights to vindicate, you should consult with an attorney. If you can't afford one, try contacting Legal Services. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption