What are my rights in terms of a website/person putting up a “testimonial” on their website without my permission?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights in terms of a website/person putting up a “testimonial” on their website without my permission?

In other words, this person took parts of my e-mail communication to him and used it as a testimonial without my permission (my privacy was invaded from this). I sent him an e-mail 2 days ago asking him to remove this from his website and have not heard from yet.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the website/owner of the website for invasion of privacy.  One type of invasion of privacy is the appropriation of one's name or likeness for commercial purposes without consent.  This would apply to the testimonial in your case.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) may include if applicable mental distress, physical illness, harm to your social or business interests.  These are examples of general damages recoverable in a claim for invasion of privacy.  Some may not be applicable to your particular situation such as physical illness and mental distress.  Therefore, your general damages should focus on harm to your social or business interests.  Punitive damages, which are a substantial amount to punish the defendant, can be awarded if a wrongful motive on the part of the defendant can be established.  Punitive damages would be in addition to your general damages.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption