What are my rights if a car dealership is trying to change the terms of the contract?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a car dealership is trying to change the terms of the contract?

My father and I bought a new van from a local dealership. We ended up only putting his name on the financing, since my credit is not great. They quoted us a payment and price, took my trade in, agreed to pay off what was left on the trade in financing and sent me home with the new van. They fedex;d my father the contract since he lives out of state. They called me a few days later to tell me the financing did not happen and that my payment would be increasing due to the higher interest rate. I talked with the manager and due to the issuing being their fault, they fired the finance guy that helped me and lowered the price on the new van to keep my payment the same. My father signed the new contracts and sent it back, and I was mailed copies that I still have. This was lasy month. As of today, the dealership has yet to send my father yet another contract. The terms have changed again and my payment is significantly higher. They have already payed off the almost $10,000 on the trade-in, and now say I have no choice but to agree to the new terms. What on earth do I do?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under General Practice, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So wait: you have new signed contracts?  And did they sign them as well (not that it may matter as your father is the one that is the "party to be charged" under the law).  If you have a signed contract that states the price and payments then stick to your guns.  Keep sending in the payments as they are listed.  And call the state attorney general's office and state banking commission regarding this bait and switch.  You should consider seeking legal help in your area as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption