What are my rights as a co-inheritor of family property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a co-inheritor of family property?

My sister and I inherited the family home and 2 rental properties from my mother. The rental properties are occupied. She has been gone 5 years and her house is setting going downhill because it’s empty. My sister refuses to let me rent or sell it because she is

Asked on May 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Assumng that the property is now in both of your names, as a joint owner you can file an action in "partition". This is a legal remedy employed when co-owners of property cannot agree as to ownership matters. In such an action, the court will either order that the property be divided if possible, if not, then it will order a "sale in lieu of partition". Pursuant to such a sale, the property will be placed on the market for fait market value and the proceeds witill be equaitbly disrtibuted. First, however, if any owner wants to purchase the property they will have the right to buy out the other owner(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption