What are my rights as a consumer when a contracted moving company fails to show up or to contact me after charging a deposit for services?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a consumer when a contracted moving company fails to show up or to contact me after charging a deposit for services?

I contracted with a moving company for moving services from UT to WY; they were to have picked up my things yesterday between 10 am – 2 pm. They never contacted me to advise their truck wasn’t going to show up. They charged a $395.95 deposit + $49.95 cancellation protection coverage = $400.90. As of yet I have been given no information as to the rescheduling of my move. They do not answer the phone or email. Since the charges are for contracted services that they are not and have not provided, what can I do to ensure they return my $400.90 in full immediately?

Asked on August 20, 2011 Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to call the moving company's representative about what happened taking his or her name, address, fax number and e mail address. You then write a letter to this person and send it via facsimile and via e mail with a copy of your agreement stating you expect the return of your entire deposit by a certain date keeping a copy of all documents sent for future reference.

If you paid the deposit by credit card, call your credit card company immediately to cancel the charge advising the credit card representative about what happened. If you are able to cancel the charge on the credit card, then you are in good shape.

If you cannot (or did not use a credit card), you wait to see if you receive the return of your deposit. If not, your option is small claims court against the moving company.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption