What are my rights

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights

My grandmother died and I haven’t seen her in 20 years. My aunt notified me. She said that there was an estate but she didn’t think it was much, however for some reason she is contesting it. Now whatever my father was entitled to would go to me and my brother since he died 33 years ago. That’s what my aunt told me. Other than that, she hasn’t said anything else. I think she doesn’t want me or my brother to get anything. What should I do? I’m not greedy but I don’t like being lied to either.

Asked on July 29, 2018 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was a will, follow its provisions in terms of who inherits, including when an heir (assuming your father was an heir or beneficiary under the will) predeceases the testator (person making the will; your grandmother).
When there is no will, the estate passes by intestate succession: assuming that your grandmother did not have a surviving spouse when she passed away, in your state (TN), your grandmother's estate (the assets she left behind) is split evenly between her children. If any of her children (like your father) predecease her, that child's share goes to his own children in equal shares. So say your grandmother had two children: your father and your aunt, and that your father had two children, you and your brother. The aunt gets 1/2 the estate, and you and your brother share your father's 1/2, or 1/4 each. You therefoe would have grounds to bring a legal action in probate court to seek you share of the inheritance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption