What are my options when facing eviction due to reasonsI was not notified about?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options when facing eviction due to reasonsI was not notified about?

We are being threatened with eviction because we had a $200 violation that we were not notified about until over a year later when the the late charges accumulated to over $500. We have tried to get in contact with our property manager and have been met with rudeness and sarcasm and have been told that they don’t have time for us. They have consistently been rude, have a lack of communication, and do not respond to repairs in a timely fashion.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, a landlord is not required to act on a debt immediately, but may wait until later. That said, if the reason the charges have accumulated is that you were not put on notice of a continuing problem, or they are  interest fees or late charges or penalties for not having resolved the original problem, there is a good chance a court would not allow them since you were never given an opportunity to correct the situation. That would still leave you with the original amount owed, which itself could support eviction is it is unpaid rent or additional rent, or represented some other material lease violation. You in turn may have a counterclaim or an offset against the landlord, if there are important repairs affecting habitability which were never done. You therefore may have defenses or claims of your own. You should consult with an attorney about the specifics of your situation, and if you cannot afford an attorney, try contacting Legal Services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption