What are my options if an insurance company won’t pay life insurance benefits?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if an insurance company won’t pay life insurance benefits?

The insurer has been holding my claim now for 9 months. My brother made a fraudulent claim and sent in paperwork after my mother died. They took the opportunity to put a hold on my funds. Now they won’t give me any information

about the claim. I want to find out what court they sent it to and when can I

expect to receive a date.

Asked on July 12, 2018 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the insurer for "breach of contract"--for violating their contractual (an insurance policy is a contract) obligation. As (we presume) a beneficiary of the policy, you are a person for whose benefit the policy was taken out; that makes you a third-party beneficiary of the policy and gives you standing (or the legal right) to sue. If there is another case invovling this policy, it may be consolidated (combined) with that other case, but if you don't even know where the other case was brought, you can't yourself file any papers to be included in or intervene in that other case; therefore, you need to file your own case against the insurer, then let them move (make a formal request) to consolidate or combine the cases if they want. One way or another (in its own case, or consolidated with another case), by filing your own case, you should be able to get your claim in front of a court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption