What are my options if I have been charged with assault?

UPDATED: May 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if I have been charged with assault?

Asked on May 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Generally, there are two basic options:  enter a plea bargain or go to trial.  A plea can entail a wide range of options from probation to actual jail time.  Which option or range of options that you will be offered will depend on the severity of the assault and your criminal history. 

In some jurisdictions, there is a third option which is the seek some type of resolution with the victim to encourage them to drop the charges.  However, this is one option you should not attempt on your own because you do not want to get charged with witness tampering.  Instead, I would recommend hiring an attorney or private investigator to get a statement or opinion from the victim.  Often, victims already know each other and it's just a matter of paying some restitution.  Regardless, you just don't want to risk a higher charge by using this approach on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption