What are my options for dealing with a collection agency?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options for dealing with a collection agency?

I have an old repression debt, and I was working with Harrison Ross Byck agency. I paid several thousands of dollars on the debt over a 10 or 11 year span. They sold my account to a collection agency. The communication I received from them states the amount due is the original balance of over $18,000. I admit I have very poor records of the amount I have paid. It was monthly checks, from $25 to $100 every month. How do I prove to Legacy that I have indeed paid several thousand dollars on this account already?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maine


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem is that if you don't have original records, the amount you truly owed may be a challege. But here is a light in your facts. If you paid over a 10 or 11 year period, the debt should have theoretically been paid, but do not admit you owe this debt now. Pull up your credit reports from the credit reporting agencies (you get one free from each of the three major companies once a year).  If the debt is on there, dispute it and have the company (new one or old one) prove the existence of the debt and the amount owed. Do not dispute with the fact you kept poor records; merely dispute the debt itself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption