What are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options?

I was riding a friend’s motorcycle that is insured. I was rear-ended in the middle of a right turn by a man in a truck who was uninsured. I went to the hospital with a broken leg which required 2 surgeries and metal pins/plates. I was charged for a wide right turn which I disputed in court and the charge was dropped. If the owner of the bike I was riding does not have uninsured motorist in the policy is there anything I can do? The man who hit me more than likely has no assets and a minimum wage job to possibly decent paying job. I have over 4 months of down time from this including possible medical issues in the future and a motorcycle to fix. Would small claims correct be a viable choice? Will it matter that it is not my name on the policy?

Asked on March 29, 2016 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the at fault driver, though if he has little income and no assets, you may be unable to collect: a court judgement in your favor does not make money appear where there is none. If he has a "decent" wage, though, you may at least be able to garnish his wages and be slowly paid. Unfortunately, he is likely the only one you can look to collect from (the motorcycle owner was not, based on what you write, at fault and so would not be liable), unless the truck was owned by someone other than the driver; if it was, you may be able to sue the owner, too, since a vehicle owner is liable for the wrongful and negligent acts of those he or she lets drive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption