What are my oppositions to get my exhusband to pay maintenance?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my oppositions to get my exhusband to pay maintenance?

The court order my ex-husband to pay maintenance every month. He is in rears of $6750. He is suppose to pay $1350 per month. This month he paid 500$. So, he is in contempt of court. He lives in another state now. What are my oppositions to get him to pay the maintenance?

Asked on March 1, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Spousal maintenance in Texas can be enforced via methods simliar to child support.  This means that you can ask the court to issue an order to garnish his wages.  You can also ask the court to confirm his arrearages, award you a judgment, and then enforce that judgment through garnishment of a bank account.  You can also file a motion for contempt.... however, wage garnishment is usually the quickest and easiest way to collect.  Sometimes the Attorney Generals between two states will provide assistance in monitoring and collecting support.   So, if you are tight on funds, start with your local AG's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption