What are my obligations?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my obligations?

I am getting married in May of 2018 and am in the process of selecting vendors. My finacee signed an agreement with a DJ for the event very basic, just name, date, signature sort of deal without me know and we do not wish to use this DJ. We have not paid a deposit yet to hold the date. So can I get out from under this?

Asked on August 15, 2017 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot, not if your fiance signed the contract: a contract is binding and effective once it is agreed to, and signing the contract signifies or shows agreement. The deposit may be something you are required to pay under the terms of the contract, but the deposit does not create the enforceable agreement or contract it: signing it did. Your fiance therefore obligated you to this DJ. You could choose to pay him and not have him show up or work, but rather hire someone else to perform--but you do have to pay him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption