What are my legal rightsif I wantto move to a safer apartment complex?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rightsif I wantto move to a safer apartment complex?

The tires and wheels have been stolen off my car twice in 2 weeks. It has cost us $1000 and insurance took care of the rest. The landlord says our only option is to buy out, which is $912 (2 months rent). Is this grounds for breaking that agreement?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord knew that the rental that you have was in an unsafe are and did not disclose this material fact to you before you signed the lease, then you may have a basis for cancelling your lease without recourse.

However, if this is not the case, the mere fact that there was a theft of your personal property does not in and of itself give grounds for you to cancel your lease without recourse. One possibility to not pay the buy out of $912.00 wanted by the landlord is to sublease the unit to another person for the duration of the term left on the lease you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption