What are my legal rights if my house is foreclosed and the second lender is still harassing me for the loan amount?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights if my house is foreclosed and the second lender is still harassing me for the loan amount?

I believe our loan was a non-recourse, money purchase loan. We took out an 80/20. A new lender took over the primary (80) and a second lender took over the second (20). The house foreclosed 9 months ago and the second lender has not stopped calling. We sometimes get up to 5 calls per day (tonight I had 3 calls within an hour). We never took any money out on the loan; it foreclosed on it’s original terms. How do we get them to back off and stop? And do we owe this money if they have already taken the house?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to check out what really happened here.  If the loan is as you say - a non-recourse purchase money loan - then the lender has no rights here to come after you one the secured property went in to foreclosure and was taken away.  Did you by any chance refinance the loan?  Because that would have converted it from non-recourse to recourse.  I would take a look at your documents - the loan, the foreclosure - and I would give a call tot he state banking commission on the matter.  Let them know that you are being harassed by the lender.  File a complaint.  They should investigate.  And try the state attorney general's office as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption