What are my daughter’s rights a renterif she is not given alease that was signed by both parties?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my daughter’s rights a renterif she is not given alease that was signed by both parties?

My daughter rented a house, gave a deposit and first month’s rent. She was never given a copy of the lease. When she moved in the water company wouldn’t turn on the water because the landlord owed money. After she moved in she found mold in the house and the switches and plugs were cracked and broken. The outside of the house had a hole in it. She paid moved in and left in 12 days. Not to mention requested her rent and deposit back. He refused to give either back. She filed a suit to recover her money. Is she within her rights to ask for all the money back?

Asked on February 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written concerning your daughter's lease, it appears that there was concealment by the landlord as to the state of the rental that she entered into consisting of, but not limited to water supply and habitability issues.

From what you have written, it seems that your daughter has a factual and legal basis to rescind the lease and seek the return of money she paid the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption