What are my chances of overturning a decision that a judge ordered my bank account to be levied for a credit card debt?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my chances of overturning a decision that a judge ordered my bank account to be levied for a credit card debt?

I want to ask the judge if I can get the opportunity to make arrangements with a creditor since the notice they sent I never received and was unaware that they were going to levy my bank accounts if I didn’t respond. The notice was sent almost 2 years ago to an address I lived at 4 months prior. Do I have any ground to stand on and what is the likelihood of a judge going to me give me the chance to make an arrangement with the creditor?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What happened is that the judge signed an order for a judgement against you - probably on what is called "default", meaning that you did not answer the summons and complaint.  You will need to make a motion to vacate the default and you will have to give a good reason that you did not answer  - which is that the address was wrong - and a meritorious defense - hard if you actually incurred the debt.  Seek some help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption