What are all my rights to better my chances of collecting my money once I win a judgement from the courts?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are all my rights to better my chances of collecting my money once I win a judgement from the courts?

If I win a judgement against an individual how do I determine what assets he possesses? When I discover those assets am I allowed to repossess or would I have to put a “lien” on the asset? Lastly, how do I protect myself from the defendant being notified that there is a lawsuit and then he signs over all his assets to another person?

Asked on January 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your question addresses the age old question of the problem of collecting upon a judgment once obtained. Typically the judgment creditor has an abstract of judgment issued and then recorded in the county recorder's office.

Afterwards, you can levy upon bank accounts and other assets of the judgment debtor via post judgment collection practices. There are forms to do this which need to be filled out, issued by the court clerk and served upon the judgment debtor by the county sheriff's office.

If assets are signed over by the judgment debtor to a third person to keep you from getting the assets, you would have a basis for bringing a whole new legal action against the judgment debtor and third person for fraudluent transfer of assets per code.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption