What are a senior’s rights when looking for handicap accessible housing?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a senior’s rights when looking for handicap accessible housing?

My father is a senior living in an apartment complex. He needs to move into a handicap accessible unit. The management company for his building won’t reply to calls emails etc when we try to find a new unit to move into. What are his rights and where can we go for help?

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you are facing in the private housing sector is that landlords and their agents do not have to respond to inquiries for renting property. In the private sector, unless your father can actually prove discrimination based upon his age or physical conditions, he really has no rights per se in the housing rental market.

Since your father is having difficulties getting handicap accessible housing to rent, I suggest that he contact assorted senior citizen organizations such as the Council for the Aging to point him in the right direction for getting accomodations that meet his physical condition.

Another option would be to retain a real estate agent who does property management to assist in finding a place for your father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption