What am I to do in the response to served divorce papers?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What am I to do in the response to served divorce papers?

I received divorce papers and am not sure how to respond. I currently am partially able to stay

somewhere but it’s temporary and can be homeless at any time. I’m also on disability for

4 more months and trying to get long term disability but that’s not guarranty at this moment.

My soon-to-be ex seems to be in control thus far due to him filing first and I can’t afford legal

advice accept through limited credit and no cash. It makes me feel unsure without legal

help I will lose everything.

Asked on May 17, 2016 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Free/low cost legal services are available to individuals who qualify. Legal Aid is one of those services. Also, check to see if there is a law school nearby to where you live since they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle divorce cases. In addition, you can contact the bar association in your county as many have lists of attorneys who will take cases for free or for a reduced fee based on a person's income/circumstances. Further, you can google for women's support groups in your area and see if they can provide a list of lawyers who can assist you. Finally, try contacting your local Department of Social Services to see if it can refer you to legal services that you can afford.
For further information, here is a link to a site that may help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption