What am I entitled to financially?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What am I entitled to financially?

I live in Arlington, Texas. My husband, of 25 years, without warning, walked out on me and our home. New Link Destination
tally devastated. We have been living apart for the last year and half, with no communication. We have never filed for ‘legal separation’ or ‘divorce’. Until yesterday and wanted to talk about legal separation. I believe he has started to receive or will receive disability from ssi. I have been struggling for the past 2 years with no assistance. I make 16/hr and have a mortgage that takes up 1 paycheck, that’s not including my other necessities for living. But I want to know if I am entitled to any financial support from him due to his abandonment of me the property. Also, he was in the military for 2 years w/honorable discharge. Would I be entitled to any of those benefits? Would I get to keep and my home in my name only? Of course, nothing can suffice the mental anguish I have had to endure. Please help and advise, what is my next course of action. Thank you in advance.

Asked on March 29, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

U am so sorry for your situation.  Texas is a community property state, meaning that property is gnerally divided equally in a divorce.  But the truth is that the court has the power to divide property based upon what is "just and right" depending on the particular facts of a situation.  Separate property remains separate but what is considered separate is not always a clear line. Generally property owned prior to marriage is considered spearate but that can become "transmuted" in to community or quasi-community property in a long marriage or by the actions of a spouse.  You may be entitled to alimony and yes, the military pension is partially yours, but beware: you need a lawyer that understands how they are divided.  That is a specialty.  And it was only 2 years so likely it is not much if anything.  Your next step is to seek legal help to sort through everything.  Try legal servives. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption