What address do I use

UPDATED: May 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What address do I use

I am currently typing up divorce papers for a friend that is incarcerated. What address do I use in the Joint Complaint for divorce. Do I use the facilty’s address where he is currently incarcerted?

Asked on May 12, 2009 under Family Law, Mississippi


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

When you file a complaint the most important thing that must happen is that the defendant is served.  Therefore, it is common practice to place an address in the complaint where the defendant is.  However, you may place the person's address where they live when they are not in jail, but you must make sure to place the address (location of the jail) on the summons or at least let the marshal who is serving it  know exacly where the defendant is so that you get proper service.  Otherwise, you can subject the lawsuit to a dismissal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption