What actions can I take if I was fired after making a sexual harassment complaint against a handicapped person at work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions can I take if I was fired after making a sexual harassment complaint against a handicapped person at work?

A handicap male attempted to miss me, I stood up and gained distance, but

then he tried to grab my privates. I asked my co-worker, who had worked at

company a long time, what to do. He said I needed to report it to my supervisor. I did so, but was later told I was fired for my unethical actions of telling another co-worker first. I am a newer employee at company but don’t understand this because I did nothing wrong.

Asked on September 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a complaint for sexual harassment and illegal retaliation with the EEOC. There is nothing illegal or unethical about telling a co-worker (so long as the report was true; a false claim would be a different story and would likely be defamation); but it IS illegal to retaliate againt someone for filing a claim of sexual harassment in good faith. There is also nothing saying that a handicapped person can sexually harass someone without consequences. The EEOC enforces  the anti-discrimination law; they may be able to help you regain your job or compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption