What actions can be taken if a dentist cuts your lip and doesn’t even apologize?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions can be taken if a dentist cuts your lip and doesn’t even apologize?

The dentist cut my husband’s lip and didn’t even apologize to him. Her assistant

was the one who said sorry that it was only a small cut. When I saw him he had a

cut all across his lip. Would he have a case?

Asked on March 12, 2016 under Malpractice Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A case for what? A small cut? That is, to be blunt, not worth anything: in a lawsuit, you can only get compensation equivalent to your additional medical costs caused by the malpractice, and, for injuries causing significant and long lasting disability, disfigurement, or life impairment, some amount for pain and suffering--but only cases involving months or longer of impairment result in any meaningful pain and suffering awards. d on what you write, your case would be worth essentially no money--but meanwhile, malpractice cases are expensive to bring, because by law, you need a medical expert, and they are not inexpensive. You would spend far more on the case than you'd get. 
You could report the unprofessional behavior to the state dental/medical licensing board and see if they will take action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption