If we went to court and won a judgement but did not receive any money yet, how do we get the defendent to pay?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we went to court and won a judgement but did not receive any money yet, how do we get the defendent to pay?

We had a contractor put an addition on our home. The contractor left without finishing the job. We went to court and won a judgement for $40,000 but the contractor never paid us and said he has no money. How do we go about getting the money now?

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a $40,000 judgment against a licensed contractor in your state and you have not been paid, you need to collect on it. Collection on a judgment is half the battle in any litigation.

You need to have an abstract of judgment issued regarding your matter by the court clerk and then record it with the county recorder's office. Assuming the contractor is working, you can lien all jobs that he or she is doing as well have orders of examination to ascertain his or her assets for levy purposes.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of debt collection law to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption