What to do if I was married 7 years ago but the minister who performed the marriage did not turn in the paperwork?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was married 7 years ago but the minister who performed the marriage did not turn in the paperwork?

I had my certificate years ago and lost it. Now that I need it for new insurance iformation it does not exist.

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You, your husband, and any witnesses to your marriage may need to complete a sign an affidavit attesting to the marriage.  Another option is to think of any other companies that you would have provided a copy of your certificate to in the past, and see if they would be willing to make you a copy.

Either of these should satisfy the insurance company's requirements.  If they insist on a well-documented legal marriage, you may have to do a short remarriage in front of a JP.  But try the other two options first.  Either should be legally sufficient to meet their needs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption