What can we do if we want to remove our sister as executor as she is not carrying out our father’s Will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if we want to remove our sister as executor as she is not carrying out our father’s Will?

He passed away about 7 months ago. His Will states that the house is to

be sold and the money divided between the children by our sister who is the

executor and living in the home. She will not let us in to do repairs. Now, we want to remover her as executor and get her out of the home before we loose it to taxes. Do we need an attorney to do this or can we file the paper work on our own?

Asked on August 15, 2018 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You legally are allowed to bring the legal action--typically, a motion filed under the docket number assigned to this estate in probate court--on your own, but a lawyer is recommended: the court rules for doing this are much more complicated than those for a small claims case, and you have to understand the concept and law about "fiduciary duty" (the law pertaining to an executor's obligation to the beneficiaries and to follow the will) to present the case properly. You will also want to do this on an "emergent" (think "urgent" or "emergency") basis to get into court in days or a week or two, not months, and bringing an action on an emergent basis increases the complexity yet more. With a house at stake, it is worth hiring a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption