If we solda car”as-is” and the guy keeps coming back to say something is wrong with it, what can we do to make him stop?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we solda car”as-is” and the guy keeps coming back to say something is wrong with it, what can we do to make him stop?

It’s a 1966 car.

Asked on August 21, 2011 New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When anyone sells an item in this country the seller is required to disclose (presumably in writing) all things known about the item that would affect a buyer's desirability to acquire the item or the price paid even if the item sold is "as is".

If you sold your car "as is" which is a 1966 vehicle and you knew of nothing wrong with it before the sale, or you disclosed all you knew wrong about it before the sale, you have done what you were required to do.

When the new owner comes back to you about the vehicle, you need to advise him there is nothing further for you to do about the vehicle in that he bought a 40 plus year old vehicle "as is" without any warranties, express or implied. At this point, you need to ask him to stop contacting you about the car.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption