What to do if we sent our rent in the form of a money order but our landlord states she did not receive it and has now served us with a 3-day notice?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we sent our rent in the form of a money order but our landlord states she did not receive it and has now served us with a 3-day notice?

This even though we presented her the money order receipt. She has been very unreasonable and Western Union has a process to return our money which may take 30-45 days. We do not have extra funds to pay her right now and can’t move either. What can we do?

Asked on December 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ideally, you would have Western Union void the money order and issue a new one to pay her immediately, but as you say, that requires additional funds, which you apparently do not have.

The landlord may try to evict you if she believes you have not paid rent. She cannot change the locks on you herself, however, but must file an eviction action and have a court grant her possession of your rental. (If she does just try to change the locks, or cut off utilities, etc., you can take her to court for a court order reinstating you in possession and possibly receiving some monetary compensation for the illegal lockout.)

When you get the notice of the court date, make *sure* you appear for court. Appear with your money order receipt, with any documents sent to or from Western Union about getting your money returned, and explain to the judge that you tried to pay her but she claims she never received the money, and that you are willing to pay her once you have your funds released by Western Union. The judge may order that in that case, the landlord has to give you extra time, until the end of the Western Union process.

Even better: if you have enough money to pay her the rent by the time she has a court date, bring the money with you to court and be prepared to pay it on the spot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption