What to do about debt warrant that we recieved from a hospital in error?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about debt warrant that we recieved from a hospital in error?

My husband is a Dept. of the Army civilian police officer. About 3 years ago, he repsonded to a stray cat at a residence and was bitten by the cat. His empoyer made him leave work and go to the emergency room to be treated for rabies. He did all the necessary workmans compensation claim paper work and the Dept of Labor approved the claim. However, the medical billing code used by the hospital is incorrect and the DOL will not pay it unless they use the proper biling code. The hospital stated that they do not use those codes. So as of now, the bills have still not been paid.

Asked on April 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your husband has some work related medical invoices still unpaid dating back three years or so ago, he should contact his employer and the health care provider about the problem and the wrong code inputted. He should call both the hospital's accounts receivable department and his former employer and follow up with a confirming letter seeking to get the issue resolved.

A copy of the letter sent should be kept for future reference and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption