What to do about a claim of adverse possession?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a claim of adverse possession?

We purchased a forclosed residential lot and house from a bank. We tore the house down and had the lot surveyed. The neighbor has a fence on our land and refuses to move it claiming adverse possesion dating back 40+ years. The fense is aligned with a metal stake the may or may not have been a boundry marker. We asked them plitly to move the fense and they objected claiming they will keep the land. The fence is about 1/3 of the length of the property line and starts and stops near the center portion of the lot line. It looks like it may have been an animal pen at one time by some previous owner. This will make it very costly to build our home because it forces us to relocate space for a septic system. What can be done to reposess?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Speak with a real estate attorney. There are number of conditions required for adverse possession, including not just how long it goes back (which the neighbor would have to prove) but also that the possession was truly "adverse"--that is, the neighbor had to take the land knowing it was not his land. Also, if the former owner of your land gave permission to the neighbor to use the land, then that would not be adverse possession. There may be one or more ways, therefore, to  attack this claim of adverse possession, and you should speak with a real estate attorney about doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption