What to do if we purchase a classic car from a dealership out of state that was not as promised?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we purchase a classic car from a dealership out of state that was not as promised?

The vehicle was sold as having power steering. Once we received the vehicle was noted to the dealership that it did not have power steering. We were told to get an estimate for the work and that we would be reimbursed for it. We did as instructed and of course now they will not honor the agreement. I have everything in emails. We tried to dispute it with the credit card company but they couldn’t help us. What can we do?

Asked on December 6, 2012 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue. If there was an agreement to sell you a car with certain features, and the car you received did not have those features, you can enforce the agreement and seek compensation ("damages") for what the car was lacking; similarly, an agreement to reimburse you for the cost of repairing or adding power steeering is also enforceable. The way to enforce these agreements is by filing a lawsuit. If the amount you are seeking is less than, say, $2,000, you may wish to file in small claims court and act as your own attorney, to save on legal fees; for more than that, you may wish to retain an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption