What to do if we need to sue our landlord for knowingly misrepresenting a space?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we need to sue our landlord for knowingly misrepresenting a space?

They represented the space to be clean and viable for use with the full knowledge that the underground is contaminated along with vapor intrusion. This as a result of improper disposal of PCE, the chemical used in dry cleaning. How do we get legal advice to proceed because we cannot afford an attorney to represent us?

Asked on June 18, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you can show, preferrably by both documentary evidence and testimony, 1) the representations the landlord made, and 2) that the landlord knew, or reasonably should have known (i.e. there is no credible way the landlord would not have known) of the contamination at the time he/she made the representations, then you may have a case for fraud. If fraud were committed, you may be able  to do one or more of the following: i) rescind the lease--that is, undo the lease and get out of it; ii) sue for monetary compensation or damages, such as, for example, the cost to clean up the contamination, if it can be cleaned, or the cost to move out, if the space is not habitable. Also, regardless of any represenations or misrepresentations, if the space is not safely habitable, you would likely have grounds to terminante the lease and/or seek monetary compensation for a violation of the "implied warranty of habitabilty."

If you are a residential tenant and cannot afford an attorney to help you, try contacting Legal Services--they often help residential tenants who cannot afford an attorney. If you are a commercial tenant, I am not aware of any resources to provide you free legal assistance, though you could try seeking if any lawyers will take the case on contingency (i.e. they only get paid if they win money for you).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption