We need help badly. PLease help us.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We need help badly. PLease help us.

I lost a 22 year career job 8 months ago and have had to start over in a recession. I am employed but only making 10% of my old salary. I am also working for an unstable company who is barely holding on themselves. I have a house with a paid off mortgage but 2 loans against it totaling about 70,000.00 left to pay. We have credit cards that we cant pay and they are racking up in late fees, interest, etc. I figure about 80,000.00 in credit debt and doctor bills. Also my wife recently had her 5 year leased vehicle repoed after 4 years. We are in trouble and are scared and dont know where to turn.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

First of all, don't be scared.  There are many in today's economy facing the same thing.  You are not alone.

What you need to do is to speak with a bankruptcy attorney.  Since money is an issue see if legal aid can help or recommend someone who can.  If you live near a law school they have free/low cost legal clinics that handle just this sort of thing.  Even if you can't hire or otherwise get an attorney to represent you, at least arrange to have an initial consultation with one.  He/she can advise if bankruptcy is the right option for you, and if it is, and under what chapter (ie Chapter 7 or Chapter 13) it should filed.  You seem bright and capable so you can then file the bankruptcy yourself. 

I'm providing you with a link to site that will provide a brief explanation of the bankruptcy process.  Read this before you do anything else. 


Note:  For your puposes you just need to read the sections - Process, Discharge, Chapter 7, Chapter 13.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption