What can we do if my daughter drove a golf cart but made a turn too fast and hit a truck in the bumper?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if my daughter drove a golf cart but made a turn too fast and hit a truck in the bumper?

Our 12 year old daughter went out of state a horse show with a friend and her father rented a golf cart which he let my daughter drive. Apparently, when she lost control the cart dented the bumper and license plate. We offered to pay his deductible but he was irate and yelled obscene gestures to my daughter so we refused to pay anything. He called us at our home and again blasted us with foul language and said he was going to sue us. 3 weeks later we got a notice from his insurance State Farm that they paid him $645 and turned us over to a collection agency which they have sent us a letter to respond within 30 days or they will sue us. Our question is simply, can they?

Asked on December 21, 2013 under Accident Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes the insurance company can and will sue you, your daughter and possibly the father of the other child who was responsible for your child while she was out of state. Bottom line is this was not the insured's fault and while he harassed you, you can attempt to sue him if you find that such harassment is a violation of law that caused you or your daughter damages. However, this is highly unlikely and while annoying, it would be best to pay this off and check your credit report and that of your daughter's to ensure it is not on there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption