What to do if my girlfriend was seen on camera taking a necklace in her employer’s home where she worked?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my girlfriend was seen on camera taking a necklace in her employer’s home where she worked?

I don’t think the video shows what happened to the necklace. She is a first time offender and the detective is calling offering a diversion program in exchange for confession. Is this something we should bite on or is it just a tactic to get her to admit guilt. What should we do?

Asked on September 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your girlfriend needs to immediately hire an attorney. Immediately. If there is an alternative conviction program available, it would be one the prosecutor would have to agree to and so would the judge. If neither agree, it is a no-go.  These programs require her to stay out of trouble for a certain amount of time, pay restitution, and seek counseling. After a certain amount of time, as determined by the court, her record would be cleared.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption