If my sister recently died, do we have the right to move her mobile home off of my parent’s property?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister recently died, do we have the right to move her mobile home off of my parent’s property?

She had no spouse but did have 2 minor children that she did not have custody of. She had no Will. She recently had a mobile home moved onto my parents property. We are trying to find out if it is possible for my parents or myself to move into the mobile home. We know that we cannot sell it because it is still legally in her name. No one is financially able to get a lawyer to get rights over her property.

Asked on February 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your sister's assets are under $25,000 then you can do a small estate proceeding to be able to deal with the mobile home.  You can possibly sell it and give the kids the money in a fund.  You should not need a lawyer.  Go to the Probate Court in the county in which she resided at the time of her death. I would not move it until you have authority to do so.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption