What to do if we were not given proper notice to vacate?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we were not given proper notice to vacate?

We just received notice to vacate on the 11th of month for the 30th. TX law is 30 day notice for month-to-month, so officially what is the last day we can be in the house – 30th or the 11th?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under Texas law, like most states in this country there is a thirty (30) day notice to terminate a tenancy by a landlord that must be served upon the tenant before the thirty (30) day written notice.

If you were not served with the notice before the run of the stated time period or received in in the mail before the running of the time period, then the notice sent to you by the landlord is defective.

You need to call and write your soon to be former landlord advising him or her that you received the notice of termination on September 11, 2011, that Texas law requires thirty (30) days notice of termination and that you will be out of the rental within thirty (30) days of September 11, 2011.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption