What to do about unsatisfactory move with a long distance mover?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about unsatisfactory move with a long distance mover?

We hired a moving company to move us across country. They picked us up late, delivered 20 days outside contract, had us pay in a manner and timing outside of the contract and sent no movers with the truck driver when it finally arrived. So my husband who for health reasons is not to do heavy lifting, had to help unload that is what we paid them for. Do we have any recourse? Contract says we must persue legal action in their home state. Can this be done long distance?

Asked on October 11, 2012 under General Practice, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you truly believe that the moving company breached its contract with you then you might consider filing suit in the small claims court in the county and state where you now reside. It will be up to the moving company to file a motion to chance venue of the filed action to the locality stated in the moving contract.

It is better to force the moving company to go through the hoops to change venue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption