How to keep permament custody of our grandchild?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to keep permament custody of our grandchild?

We have temp custody of our grandchild. She has been sexually abused while with her mom. We don’t know who did it, possibly the boyfriend or the boyfriend’s bother who is a registered sex offender. Her mom has also been physicaly abusive to her over the past 2 1/2 years. We have seen this first hand, wittnessed her hitting the child, yelling and neglecting her in so many ways. Her mom is also a frug user and has exposed our grandchild to other boyfriends who also used around the child. Fo you think that we can keep custody based on these factors?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

 Custody determinations are made by the court "in the best interests of the child."  Understand that courts generally try and promote relationships between parents and their children and you have not mentioned the Father at all here.  But I think that the facts as you state would sway a judge in your favor and you should speak with the attorney about your options.  Maybe even termination of the parental rights of the Mother.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption