If we have just received notice of default on our home, is there any way to stop this if we pay the past due amount owed?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have just received notice of default on our home, is there any way to stop this if we pay the past due amount owed?

This w s for sale by owner. We are 4 months behind.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have just received a notice of default from your lender regarding your home, the best way to take care of the issue is to pay all monies owed (past monthly amounts as well as late fees). When you pay this amount, make sure that you send a letter stating what is being sent with your check certified mail, return receipt requested.

Keep a copy of the latter for future reference.

I would also follow up with a telephone call to the lender confirming receipt of the payment to make sure it was received. To be on the safe side, you may also want to consult with a real estate attorney regarding the status of things as well to protect your interests.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption