If we have been in a lease for 8 months now and are having issues with mold in the home, can we get out of our lease?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have been in a lease for 8 months now and are having issues with mold in the home, can we get out of our lease?

I have spoken to the landlord about this, have pics to prove it, text messages to him to prove it, etc. Can we get out of the 4 months we have left on this lease agreement and get our deposit back? Also, if we have to stay here for time being, is it true I can withhold rent payments till the issues is taken care of? Our family has been in and out of the doctors office quite frequently since moving here and we are concerned for our health as well as our 3 children.

Asked on January 22, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

All residential leases contain a kind of guarantee called an "implied warranty of habitability". Basically, it means that a tenant is required to be given a safe and sanitary place in which to live. If not, then the landlord has breached the lease.
As for mold, it can be a serious health issue. What you need to do first is to call the Health Dpeartment and see if it will send an inspector out to inspect the situation. After that, you have the option of doing 1 of 3 things:  

repair the problem (i.e. remediate the mold issue which can be expensive) and deduct the cost from your rent;
withhold your rent until the landlord repairs the problem;
or, in certain circumstances, break your lease.

If you want to break your lease, you might be able to under the circumstances. However, don't simply move out as that would leave you in breach without establishing your right to do so. And this could leave you liable for monetary penalties. What you'll need to do is to go down to housing court (it's called different things in different places) and ask that an action be commenced based upon the breach of the warranty of habitability. The court will then allow the landlord to try and remedy the situation. You may be relocated for the time it takes them to do so (and the judge may have you pay your rent into an escrow fund). If they cannot fix the mold problem, then you can ask that the court that your lease be terminated and your deposit returned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption