We have a tenant that was out of their lease and moved out, what do we do with her “trash”?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We have a tenant that was out of their lease and moved out, what do we do with her “trash”?

She left her set of keys in the unit for us. In a text message she told us that she still had some “trash” out in the garage and that she would come the next day to get it. She never came and got it the next day. The stuff that she referred to as “trash” is a huge pile of toys, a couch, mattress, large dresser, and other misc. household items. Do we have to hold on to this stuff for a certain amount of time or can we get rid of it since she didn’t get it when she said she would and called it trash?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the "trash" left behind is worth less than $300 then you have the right to discard of the material as abandoned under the laws of all states in this country. I would call or text the former tenant stating she has ten (10) days to pick up her "trash" or you would discard it for her. Keep a copy of the text for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption