What to do if we have a small business and put a building on somebody else’s property?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we have a small business and put a building on somebody else’s property?

We left the area 8 years ago but were still friends and contacts with the people renting the property that the building was located. They used it for storage space and never paid us a penny. We would like to move the building from the property now, but the renters of the property say that they consider the building as abandoned. hey say the the owner of the property has been paying the taxes on it for over 5 years and they have been paying him rent for it. Therefore, they consider that the property owner now owns our building. It is a portable 20 x 30 building. They suggest that we use it as a tax writeoff on our taxes and not move the building.

Asked on April 16, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, if you placed the building upon rented property eight (8) years ago and left the area without taking the building with you, under the laws of all states in this country you are deemed to have abandoned your ownership interests in the unit. It is no longer yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption