What to do if we had a contractor who promised us work but didn’t do it so we stopped his check but he cashed it anyway?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we had a contractor who promised us work but didn’t do it so we stopped his check but he cashed it anyway?

We had given him a check for $1600 which we stopped. However, he managed to cash it at a check cashing place. Now the check cashing place is demanding the money from us. Can they force us to pay them legally?

Asked on February 24, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the timing and how/why it was cashed. If they cashed it before the stop payment was fully in place, then they can get payment from you; but if they cashed it after the stop payment was implemented, then they should not be able to. Ask you bank to help out--if the bank failed to put the stop pay in place correctly or in a timely manner, you bank should be liable for the amount; otherwise, they should be able to help you deal with the check-cashing place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption